How to turn your PC on using nothing, but your android cell phone and your home router
Let`s say, that in the middle of the workday you realize that you`ve forgotten the report laying in C:\ on your PC. And just when you thought “Thanks god I installed LogMeIn“, you realize your home PC is powered off. The point of this article is to explain you how to set your PC to use its WOL(Wake on lan) function. The first thing you have to do is enable your lan card to “wake” your PC up, when receiving a “Magic Packet“.
- In order to turn on your WOL functionality, you have to log into your BIOS, in the “Power Management” tab and change the Wake on LAN tab to “Enabled”
- You have to make sure that the WOL functionality is enabled for the lan card you use for your Internet connection
- Now it is time for the trickiest part. 90% of the Internet users have Dynamic IP addresses and are practically undiscoverable from outside the home LAN. In order for you to be able to wake your PC on you have to make it discoverable for the rest of the world. The easiest way to do that is link your home router with DynDNS.org, giving it a subdomain name. When you finish your registration in DynDNS you`ll receive a username password, and the unique subdomain name I mentioned.
- Now the last thing you have to do is log in your router and submit your DynDNS registration details in the Dynamic DNS tab.
Turning your configured PC on from your Android phone.
Install WOLdroid from the Android market
- Run the application
- Type your MAC address of your lan card(You can find it out by typing ipconfig /all in the cmd)
- In the name tab write the name of the subdomain you registered in DynDNS
- Press OK and Wake
Now the only thing you have to do is wait for several seconds and launch LogMeIn
If you have any questions feel free to ask them in the comment section below.